'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy is History
- Universalibility principle - "How would I like it if someone did this to me?"
- Consequences - Does the act causes harm and regret (in oneself or others) or benefit and joy?
- Utilitarian principle - Will the act help or harm the attainment of goals (ultimately spiritual liberation)?
- Intention - Is the act motivated by love, generosity and understanding?
- Bernard Faure, The Red Thread: Buddhist Approaches to Sexuality (Princeton University Press, 1998).
- Winston Layland, ed., Queer Dharma: Voices of Gay Buddhists (Gay Sunshine Press, 1998).